I just wanted to give you a quick update on how the herbs in my new Miracle-Gro AeroGarden 3SL are coming along. Can you believe the amazing growth they've had in only 17 days?!? That's right -- I planted my seed pods pods just over two weeks ago, and I already have mature leaves blossoming.
Planting my AeroGarden was so easy. In fact, there are just four simple steps, and then you pretty much set it and forget it!
Planting Your AeroGarden in 4 Easy Steps
When you plant your seed pods, it's recommended that you write the date they were planted on a calendar.
- Add water. The view window on the AeroGarden makes it easy to see how much water you should add to start and also makes it simple to add more water as necessary. For best results, it's recommended that you keep the water level at the "fill to here" line at all times. I actually haven't needed to add water to my indoor garden since I first planted it, so you only need to check it occasionally!
- Add seed pods. Insert the seed pods into the Grow Deck according to the placement guide that comes with your seed kit. You want to place tall plants to the back of the AeroGarden so that you can easily access all of the plants, and it will just look nicer this way, as well. Leave the labels on the seed pods to allow for easy identification, plus they inhibit algae growth.
- Add grow domes. Place the clear plastic grow domes over each seed pod. Note that they may not snap into place. If they're simply resting on the pod, they're still serving their purpose. They should be left on until the plants have sprouted and the leaves nearly touch the domes.
- Add nutrients. Each seed pod kit will come with a bottle of liquid nutrients and instructions on how much to add for your particular AeroGarden model. Adding more nutrients is not better and can actually harm your plants, so follow the guidelines carefully. The AeroGarden has a nutrient light which will remind you when it's time to feed your plants again (every two weeks).
The quick setup guide that comes in the Miracle-Gro AeroGarden kit is invaluable, containing detailed instructions and tips on everything from germination times to pruning to harvesting. I highly recommend reading it thoroughly and keeping it handy for reference.
I'm so pleased with my AeroGarden, and I am definitely picking at least one up as a Christmas gift this year. I won't say who it's for, because I don't want to spoil the surprise, but I know they will love it as much as I do.
As I mentioned in my previous post, the Miracle-Gro Aero-Garden makes a fantastic family gift! My kids have so enjoyed being able to watch the changes in our herb plants daily. It's much different than planting an outdoor garden where you may not be checking on it every single day.
Maintaining the AeroGarden has been super simple so far, and my kids love to help out by adding the nutrients and keeping my up to date on changes they've noticed. I wish I had thought to purchase a small notebook for them to record their observations, but I will definitely do that when we plant a new round of seed pods.
Quick purchase links:
- Miracle-Gro AeroGarden 3SL, $49.97
- Miracle-Gro AeroGarden Gourmet Herb 3-Pod Seed Kit, $13.28
- Miracle-Gro AeroGarden Mighty Mini Tomato 3-Pod Seed Kit, $12.95
Are you planning to gift a Miracle-Gro AeroGarden 3SL for Christmas this year?