For the most part, we ascribe to an 80/20 ratio when it comes to healthy eating -- that is we try to eat fairly healthy 80% of the time and don't worry too much about the other 20%. And it works well for us most of the time... until the holiday season hits and it seems like there are temptations around every corner.
When that happens, my husband and I will typically do some sort of cleanse to nudge ourselves back into a healthier way of eating. We've done 5-day and 10-day cleanses together, and once we even did a 24-day cleanse (NOT doing that again!). Personally, I prefer a shorter cleanse, just enough to get back on track and I'm good from there, so when I saw that BioTerra Herbs has a 2-day cleanse product, Detox (ahhh), I was all for trying it out!
If you're not familiar with BioTerra Herbs, it's a drug-free herbal product line that is non-GMO Project Verified. Made in the USA, these high quality, natural supplements are also dairy free, gluten free and vegan-friendly.
Obviously the first thing I noticed about BioTerra Detox (ahhh) was the eye-catching packaging and humorous description on the box noting that "this product is not recommended while you're camping, stuck in traffic, or going on long road trips." And while that's all true to a certain extent, don't let it scare you off! The herbs in Detox (ahhh) were chosen to eliminate toxins, support liver function, and provide gentle internal cleansing.
I found the Detox (ahhh) 2-day cleanse to be very gentle and effective. Yes, it will get things moving within about 12 hours, but I didn't experience any discomfort. I chose to play it safe and do my cleanse over a weekend since it was my first time using this product, but in hindsight, it really wasn't necessary.
2-Day Cleanse Tips
First of all, I'm going to preface this by saying that I'm not a doctor and you may want to consult with your physician before trying a cleanse... Truthfully, I did not, but I have no known health issues and was willing to take on any risk associated with using Detox (ahhh). I did research all of the ingredient herbs myself before taking this product, and I would encourage you to do the same.
I was actually a little surprised that there weren't any instructions other than "take 4 capsules after a meal per day for 2 days. I mean, you're not doing yourself any favors if you take these supplements while still chowing down on fast food and sweets. Right?
Having done cleanses in the past, though, I thought I'd share a few common sense tips for making the most of one:
- Drink lots of water -- Water will help flush out the toxins that the supplements are ridding from your body. I carry a bottle with me all day long, and I make an effort to drink 2 glasses with every meal. If you're not a fan of plain water, a squeeze of fresh lemon juice goes a long way toward making it a little more appealing.
- DO eat these -- Fresh or frozen fruits and veggies (not canned), healthy fats (avocado, coconut, nuts, seeds, olives/olive oil), lean proteins (chicken or fish) & complex carbohydrates
- DON'T eat these -- Fried foods, refined sugars (table/sucrose), corn, wheat, white starches (bread or white rice), dairy, alcohol, coffee, soda and deli meat
We tend to eat very simply when doing a cleanse -- lots of grilled chicken, roasted vegetables, salads, quinoa, coconut milk rice (made with brown rice), and fresh fruits. Giving up dairy and coffee is the hardest part for me, but I just keep telling myself that it's only for two days!
BioTerra Herbs #goherbal
BioTerra Herbs are available in Walmart stores now, with prices starting at $11.24. Also, if you're a Checkout 51 member, you can earn $3 cash back when you purchase BioTerra Herbs at Walmart right now!
The BioTerra Herbs product line includes:
- Sleep (z-z-z) -- promotes restful sleep*
- Snoring (shush) -- reduces snoring and improves sleep*
- Detox (ahhh) -- eliminates toxins and gentle cleansing*
- Digestion (belch) -- relieves stomach discomfort*
- Immunity (zap) -- supports immune health*
- Vision (zoom) -- promotes eye health while supporting visual function*
- Stress (gahh) -- for mastering everyday stresst and uplifting men and women*
- Mental Focus (huh?) -- boosters for mental clarity while supporting concentration*
- Energy (boing) -- boost energy without use of stimulants*
A final word about herbs: It takes at least two weeks of consistent use for most people to feel the difference in their health with herbal supplements. With the 2-day cleanse, you will experience some "results" within about 12 hours or so, but I also tried the Energy (boing) supplement, and I can tell you that it took several days to notice changes in my energy levels, so be sure to give them time to work their magic!
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.