The weather has been a touch cooler this week, and I've been craving some real comfort food -- specifically this homemade chicken and dumplings recipe. It's a near perfect clone of my favorite dish of choice at Cracker Barrel with one exception...
If you've ever had Cracker Barrel chicken and dumplings, you know that they use poached chicken and pour the dumplings on top. I wanted to go a somewhat quicker route, so instead, I picked up a Marketside rotisserie chicken at Walmart, shredded it up, and stirred it into the chicken dumplings.
This chicken and dumplings recipe has all the same great flavor, but it's faster and, thanks to a rollback at Walmart right now, it's more economical, too!
That's right -- rotisserie chickens are only $4.98 at Walmart through the end of October, giving you plenty of time to pick one up and try this delicious recipe!
The dumpling dough is very simple to make, requiring only 5 ingredients. Once it's mixed, turn it out on a floured surface and knead it a few times. Then roll it out thin and slice it up with a pizza cutter.
If you're working efficiently and aren't distracted by kids (as I often am, lol), this step takes only about 10 minutes, during which time you can be heating the chicken broth.
Drop the dumplings one by one into the boiling chicken broth, and then cook them for about 15-20 minutes. Stir in the shredded rotisserie chicken, and it's done. Easy-peasy!
Easy Homemade Chicken and Dumplings
- 1 rotisserie chicken, shredded
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups flour, plus additional for rolling
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup milk
- coarse ground black pepper to taste
- Remove the skin from the rotisserie chicken and shred, discarding the bones.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt until well combined. Cut in the butter with a fork or pastry cutter, and then stir in the milk until the dough forms a bowl. You may need to add an extra tablespoon or so of milk if the dough is too dry.
- Roll the dough out on a heavily floured work surface, slightly less than 1/4-inch thick works well. If you're having trouble rolling the dough, let it rest for a minute and then continue.
- Using a pizza cutter, cut the dough into small squares. There's no need to be too precise, but about 2"x2" is good.
- Remove the uncooked dumplings to a plate, adding additional flour in between each layer to prevent sticking.
- Bring the chicken broth to a boil. Add the dumplings one at a time to the boiling broth, stirring constantly. Add any extra flour left on the plate directly to the broth to help thicken it up. Turn the burner down to medium and cook the dumplings for about 15-20 minutes, until cooked through.
- Add in the shredded chicken and heat through. Finish with freshly cracked black pepper to taste.
Copyright Unsophisticook 2010-16. All Rights Reserved.
If you're looking for a few more tasty recipes using rotisserie chicken, try this delicious Buffalo Chicken Pizza or this yummy Apple Pecan Chicken Salad!