Like many men, the way to my husband’s heart is through his stomach. My kids are well aware of this, so they asked me to help them create a special recipe to serve him on Father’s Day.
I think we hit upon a winner with these super simple Cheez-It coated chicken tenders! They’re easy enough that my kids can prepare them with minimal assistance, and even the youngest of the bunch can get in on the action by helping to crush up the Cheez-It Crackers.
One of my personal favorite features of this recipe is that you can get creative every time you make it by choosing a different variety of crackers. We used the new Mozzarella flavor and paired it with a honey Dijon sauce, but Hot & Spicy with salsa or Cheddar Jack and barbecue sauce would be fantastic variations.
Easy Crunchy Cheez-It Chicken Tenders
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 pounds chicken tenders
- 3 cups crushed Cheez-It Crackers, any flavor
- olive oil to drizzle
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Mix together buttermilk, mustard, salt, and cayenne pepper in a glass dish, and place crushed Cheez-It Crackers in a second dish.
- Dip chicken tenders in buttermilk mixture, and then lay in the crackers, pressing crackers into tenders firmly. Transfer to a baking sheet lined with a wire cooling rack.
- Drizzle coated chicken tenders with olive oil and bake for 18-20 minutes, until cooked through.
- Optional: to make a honey Dijon dipping sauce for the side, simply combine equal parts honey and Dijon mustard to equal the quantity of sauce you need.