While thumbing through the latest issue of Cooking Light magazine yesterday, a recipe for Pesto Pasta Salad caught my eye. Light and summery, filled with fresh tomatoes and mozzarella, it sounded like a deliciously easy weeknight dinner option! So I tore the page out…
I do this often. In fact, I have a whole box of recipes I’ve torn from magazines or printed from websites, all with good intentions on making them. In reality, though, I don’t think even 5% of them make it to our dinner table. Meal planning just isn’t my forte, and I’m terrible about adding all of the ingredients to my shopping list.
But this week was a little different, mainly because Walmart recently asked me to try their new grocery pickup service that was just introduced in my area. So instead of stuffing the pasta recipe in a box with so many others, I hopped on the Walmart Grocery site and added all of the ingredients I needed to my shopping cart, along with my favorite Tazo Chai Tea and a couple of boxes of cereal. I then set a pickup time for this morning, and hit the checkout button. Super simple!
Picking up my order was just as easy. I called ahead about 15 minutes before I knew I’d arrive at the store, so my order was waiting for me when I got there. I parked my JEEP in one of the six designated pickup parking spots, made another call to let them know which spot I was parked in, and my order was brought out and loaded into my trunk. Seriously SO convenient!
What I love about Walmart Grocery:
- Ordering was easy. The website had a good amount of variety, and I was able to find everything that I wanted easily.
- The produce was very fresh. I was worried about having someone else choose produce for me, but everything I received was blemish-free and well packed. In fact, orders are 100% fresh guaranteed!
- The pickup time took only about 5 minutes. At my location, you do need a cell phone to notify them that you’re ready to pick up. However, I know this isn’t the case at all location.
- You can use Savings Catcher. Your pickup confirmation email will have a TC number listed on it that you can enter into the Walmart App to get a refund for any Savings Catcher price differences found.
- It’s FREE! That’s right — Walmart provides this service at no additional cost, though there is a minimum order amount of $30. There are no service fees, and you’ll get the same every day low prices found in stores.
My main complaint about Walmart Grocery:
- You can’t use coupons. I had $4 in printed manufacturer’s coupons that I was unable to redeem with my order. This could be a deal breaker depending on the size of my order versus how much I could save with my coupons, especially when other grocery stores in my area will apply my coupons before processing my payment with their curbside pickup service. I was told that Walmart is working on this, so hopefully it won’t be an issue for very long.
That said, I WAS able to save $10 off my total order with the code REALEASY, so that somewhat made up for losing out on using my coupons. Also, I was still able to submit for the applicable Ibotta and Checkout 51 offers by taking a screenshot of my pickup confirmation email.
Okay, back to this yummy pesto pasta salad. You didn’t think I was going to leave you hanging, did you?! Soccer tryouts started tonight, so I needed something quick and easy for dinner — and this dish really delivers! I did adapt it slightly, using refrigerated pesto sauce instead of making my own per the original recipe. And I also added some sliced grilled chicken to make it just a little more filling.
The grilled chicken is really nothing special, but in case you’re curious… I just sprinkle some boneless skinless chicken breasts with salt, freshly ground black pepper and poultry seasoning, then grill them over medium heat until cooked through. It makes for a very versatile piece of chicken that’s perfect over salads, pasta or even straight up.
But this pesto pasta salad + the grilled chicken = total. dinner. winner! We’ll definitely be adding this to our regular rotation. Minus the grilled chicken, it would make a fabulous potluck/cookout side dish, as well. Try it and let me know what you think!
adapted from Cooking Light magazine
Walmart Grocery Coupon: Use promo code REALEASY to save $10! Offer valid for first order only for Walmart Grocery online service, in available stores. Minimum order $50. Only one discount code per order. Offer not transferable. Does not apply to alcohol purchases. Customer responsible for all applicable taxes. Offer expires November, 1 2016.