My kids love to help me out in the kitchen, so when I was trying to decide on a fun craft for Valentine's Day, these stained glass sugar cookies seemed like the perfect choice. They were super simple to make, and they definitely have that wow factor that appeals to kids with the hard candy center!
What you'll need:
- heart-shaped cookie cutters -- one large size and one smaller size, I purchased a Wilton set with four sizes at Walmart for $2.88.
- sugar cookie dough -- I used my great-grandmother's sugar cookie recipe, but you could easily substitute a store bought refrigerated cookie dough or bagged mix.
- Life Savers candy -- or any other clear hard candy will work.
- Silpat or parchment paper -- to line your cookie sheet.
(1) Line your cookie sheet with Silpat or parchment paper to prevent the centers from sticking. Roll out your cookie dough and cut out your cookies using the largest cookie cutter size. Using a smaller cookie cutter, cut out the middles of your cookies. You can either bake the middles separately to decorate, or you can add this dough back in and cut more large hearts.
(2) Crush up your Life Savers or hard candy. I just gave them a good whack with the rolling pin.
(3) Sprinkle it in the centers of the cookies. You'll want to really mound it up so that it's fairly thick when it melts. Then just bake your cookies according to your recipe! The candy will melt down and then solidify as the cookies cool -- be sure to let them cool thoroughly before removing them from the cookie sheet.
We also decided to bake the center cutouts along with a few others so the kids could have some fun decorating them. We used a Wilton 3-pack of sprinkles that was just $3, along with this super simple sugar cookie frosting recipe.
Simple Sugar Cookie Frosting:
You'll need just two ingredients -- heavy cream and confectioner's sugar.
Whisk together 1 cup confectioner's sugar and 1/4 cup heavy cream. Add a drop or two of food coloring as desired.
My three youngest kids had a blast frosting and decorating, and they're very excited that I get to show off their hard work!
Have you made any fun and inexpensive Valentine's Day crafts? Share them in the comments!
Disclosure: I am an official Walmart Mom. Follow me and my fellow Walmart Moms as we share our ideas and tips for a special Valentine's Day! Walmart has provided me with compensation and gift card in return for my time & efforts to create this post. My participation in this program is voluntary and my opinions are my own, always have been, always will be.