My husband and I went out for lunch recently, and the little bistro’s soup of the day was chicken queso soup. WHAT?!? I couldn’t resist ordering a bowl, and I dove right in as soon as it was set down in front of me.
It was delicious! But… it was quite apparent that it was made with Velveeta, and while I won’t judge those of you that love the stuff, I prefer to stay away from it whenever possible.
Fast forward a few weeks (very cold and icy weeks, I might add), and soups and stews have quickly become our go-to evening meal. I started thinking about that chicken queso soup again and decided that I could definitely recreate it at home — only I’d make it from scratch using fresh ingredients.
If the amount my kids consumed is any indicator, this soup is definitely a winner!
Okay, so I did cheat just a touch — I saved myself some slicing and chopping by using the Marketside pico de gallo from Walmart. But everything else from the chicken (gotta love finding marked down Harvestland chicken breasts!) to the cheddar-jack cheese is fresh!
And if you really want to make your own pico de gallo, more power to you, but this little shortcut worked out just fine.
I also thought it would be fun to serve this yummy chicken queso soup in bread bowls, so I was excited to find these premade mini Tuscan boules in the Walmart bakery department. You simply finish them off in the oven for about 8 minutes — so easy! At $2.49 each, they can get a little pricey for a larger family, but they’re definitely something to consider that will make this soup even more special.
We like things a little spicy here, so I used the spicy pico de gallo and added a teaspoon of chipotle powder. If you prefer a milder amount of heat, omit the chipotle powder and/or use the mild pico de gallo.Print
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 containers Marketside spicy pico de gallo (or mild)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3.5 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon chipotle powder (optional)
- 4 cups chicken, cooked and chopped (about 3 chicken breasts)
- 4 tablespoons salted butter
- 1/3 cup flour
- 2.5 cups heavy cream
- 3 cups shredded cheddar-jack cheese
- Heat olive oil over medium heat and add both containers of pico de gallo and the garlic. Saute until the onion is almost translucent.
- Add the cooked chicken and chicken stock. Bring to a boil, then turn down and simmer on low for 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, prepare a roux by melting the butter over medium-low heat. Whisk in flour and cook, stirring continuously, for 3-5 minutes or until the flour is cooked to a light golden brown color.
- Add cream to the soup and bring to a rolling boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and stir 1-2 cups of the soup mixture into the roux, then immediately pour the entire roux mixture back into the soup, stirring to blend.
- Gently stir in the cheese until melted.
Hurry and get to the store before the next round of snow hits this weekend so you can cozy up to a hot bowl of this delicious chicken queso soup!