This crispy tuna patties recipe is a super quick, easy, and healthy dinner idea! Adding a touch of mayo keeps these tuna cakes tender on the inside, yet crunchy and delicious on the outside… And did I mention they’re budget friendly?
Tuna Patties For The Win!
Much like this beloved Parmesan-crusted chicken recipe, these crispy fried tuna patties were a weeknight regular when my husband and I were newlyweds.
Back then we were living on a first-year apprentice’s wages, and budget-friendly proteins (like pouch or canned tuna fish) were a necessity for maintaining our skimpy grocery budget.
Blue Harbor Fish Co Albacore Tuna
It’s been ages since I’ve made them, but tuna patties were the first recipe that I thought of when I received a package of Blue Harbor Albacore Tuna pouches recently.
A quick survey of my pantry showed that I had all the necessary ingredients on hand. That’s what’s so great about a simple tuna cake recipe like this — you can almost always throw it together at a moment’s notice if you keep a well-stocked pantry.
After trying these tuna pouches, Blue Harbor will definitely be on my list to keep stocked. Blue Harbor is Marine Stewardship Council certified, which means it comes from fisheries dedicated to sustainable fishing.
Each pouch is filled with sustainably-caught, wild Albacore tuna that’s hand-selected and packed with only water or water and sea salt (no preservatives!), depending on the variety. The flavor is delicious, mild, and very clean!
How To Make Tuna Patties
Overall, this tuna patty recipe is very forgiving. Out of bread crumbs? Use an equal amount of crushed saltine or butter crackers instead.
Not a fan of Sriracha? Go ahead and skip it (although it really doesn’t add THAT much heat). Or try swapping the lemon and fresh parsley for lime and cilantro for a tasty change of pace.
The only ingredient I wouldn’t change is the mayo… Which is weird because the tuna patties recipe my mom made when I was growing up did not have mayonnaise in it. But after trying it a few years ago, I’ve never gone back!
Mayo is truly the secret ingredient in my crispy tuna patties recipe. It adds SO much flavor and keeps the inside of the tuna patties tender and juicy.
Crispy Yet Tender Tuna Cakes
I like these tuna patties served over fresh greens drizzled with a simple lemon aioli. But my husband prefers to turn them into tuna burgers on a bun with guacamole — they’re super versatile like that.
I love it when one recipe can please everyone… And when it’s quick and easy, too, you know you’ve got a real winner!
Easy Side Dish Recipes + Fried Tuna Patties
Wondering what to serve with tuna patties? With a main dish as easy as this tuna cakes recipe, you’re going to want to keep your side dishes quick and easy, as well. Here are a few of our very favorites!
- Italian Roasted Baby Potatoes — A favorite staple recipe that has rave reviews from family and friends, these oven roasted baby potatoes couldn’t be easier to prepare. Simply toss baby gold potatoes with the Italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and olive oil, and then roast to perfection!
- Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes — no more undercooked sweet potatoes, this one simple secret will produce a perfectly cooked Instant Pot sweet potato every time… Making sweet potatoes in the Instant Pot is a total game changer for meal prep or those doing a Whole30!
- Sautéed Green Beans with Garlic — these sautéed green beans with garlic are a simple and easy side dish… Adding a little extra raw minced garlic at the end of cooking gives them an extra unexpected punch of flavor!
- Loaded Guacamole Salad — dressed in a simple lime vinaigrette, this guacamole salad is a fantastic summer side dish… You’ll love the combination of creamy avocado, tangy lime, and spicy jalapeño, along with a good measure of sweet corn and black beans!
- 3-Ingredient Roasted Sesame Asparagus — this simple 3-ingredient roasted sesame asparagus recipe is a quick and easy weeknight side dish, yet still impressive enough to serve at a more upscale gathering!
If you like these tuna patties, you might also enjoy these other canned tuna recipes:
Or you might like this chicken salad with grapes and pecans that’s made with canned chicken breast chunks!
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @unsophisticook on Instagram and hashtag it #unsophisticook.