No more undercooked sweet potatoes, this one simple secret will produce a perfectly cooked Instant Pot sweet potato every time… Making sweet potatoes in the Instant Pot is a total game changer for meal prep or those doing a Whole30!
- 2-4 sweet potatoes of roughly the same circumference
- 1 cup cold water
- With a stiff veggie brush, scrub and rinse the sweet potatoes well under cold water.
- Using a sewing tape measure, measure the circumference of the sweet potatoes in inches, and calculate your cook time according to the notes below.
- Place the stainless steel insert pot into the Instant Pot base, along with the included steamer insert. Pour in 1 cup of cold water, and place the sweet potatoes on the steamer insert.
- Lock the lid on top of the Instant Pot, and make sure the steam release knob is turned to “sealing”.
- Press the Manual (Pressure Cook for the new IP-DUO60) button on the front. High pressure should automatically be selected, but if it’s not for some reason, press the Pressure button to toggle it to high.
- Use the plus or minus buttons to set the cook time according to your calculations based on the chart in the post. Wait a few seconds and you should hear a beep. At this point, the display will read “on”, indicating that the Instant Pot is pressuring up. Once it comes to pressure (about 9-10 minutes), it will switch to the timer to steam the sweet potatoes.
- Once the sweet potatoes are done cooking, allow the pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes. Then use a thick towel or a pair of tongs to turn the steam release knob to “venting”. Open the lid carefully, and enjoy!
Cook time: The cook time is based on your sweet potatoes’ circumference and your texture preference, lower end for cooked with some chew, higher end for fully tender sweet potatoes: 6 inches – 15 to 20 minutes; 8 inches – 25 to 30 minutes; 10 inches – 35 to 40 minutes; 12 inches – 45 to 50 minutes. See the chart in the post for complete details.
Storage: Pressure cooked sweet potatoes will keep for up to 7 days stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator.