You can’t go wrong with your good ole’ slow cooker when it comes to making baked beans for a crowd! This tried and true crock pot baked beans recipe is loaded with brown sugar and bacon and makes enough for the whole gang at your next summer gathering.
- 4 (16.5-oz.) cans pork and beans, liquid drained off top
- 6 slices bacon, chopped
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 teaspoons mustard
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- Open the cans of pork and beans and drain the excess liquid off the top. Pour the remaining contents into your slow cooker insert.
- Chop the bacon slices and place them on a microwave safe paper towel-lined plate. Lay another piece of paper towel on top and microwave for one minute to remove the excess bacon grease.
- To the pork and beans, stir in the dark brown sugar, ketchup, mustard, chopped onion, and partially cooked bacon.
- Slow cooker instructions: Place the lid on the slow cooker, and cook on high for about four hours, stirring occasionally. With about 30 minutes left to cook, set the lid on slightly askew to allow some of the excess liquid to cook off. Allow the baked beans to cool slightly to thicken up before serving.
- Oven baked instructions: Pour the baked beans mixture into a 2-quart casserole dish. Baked at 375 degrees, uncovered, for one hour. Allow to cool slightly before serving to thicken up.
This recipe doubles easily to feed a crowd! Doubling it in the slow cooker will extend the cook time to about 8 hours, stirring occasionally.