This creamy tomato basil soup recipe is a total copycat of my favorite soup at First Watch! Perfect paired with a hot and fresh classic grilled cheese sandwich…
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 4 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 (28 oz.) cans whole tomatoes
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- additional salt & pepper, to taste
- In a French oven, sauté onions and garlic in butter over medium heat until translucent. Stir in tomato paste and cook while stirring until it starts to brown.
- Pour in the chicken stock and scrape the bottom of the pot with a wooden spatula or spoon to remove any caramelized brown bits.
- Add both cans of tomatoes, including juice, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Use an immersion blender to puree the soup right in the pot, or transfer the tomato mixture in batches to blender or food processor to process.
- After mixture is pureed, add in basil and pulse a few times to incorporate. Then whisk in heavy cream and add additional salt and pepper to taste.
Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 5 days or freeze for up to 3 months.