Sure it’s easy enough to pop popcorn on the stove, but my favorite part of this homemade microwave popcorn “recipe” is that it’s so easy even my five-year-old can do it (with a little supervision)!
Let’s face it, as tasty as microwave popcorn can be, it’s downright expensive and laden with sodium. That fragrant steam that escapes when you open a freshly popped bag? It contains nearly four dozen chemicals, some of which have been proven toxic. Do it yourself using these simple steps for a healthy snack that’s high in fiber and low in calories — then season it any way you want.
I chose to purchase Black Jewell popcorn kernels because they pop with very few hulls and are packed with antioxidants. However, you can use any type of popcorn kernel that you prefer. You’ll also need a lunch-size brown paper bag, a small piece of tape, and of course, a microwave.
Simply place about 1/4 cup of popcorn kernels in a lunch-size brown paper bag. Fold it over once and secure with a small piece of tape, and microwave until the popping slows to about once per second, about 2-3 minutes. Carefully open the bag and season to taste!Print
- 1/4 cup popcorn kernels
- 1 lunch-size brown paper bag
- 1 small piece scotch tape
- Pour 1/4 cup of popcorn kernels into a lunch-size brown paper bag. Fold the bag over once and secure with a small piece of scotch tape.
- Place the bag in the microwave with taped side up and microwave for approximately 2-3 minutes until the popping slows to about once per second.
- Remove bag and open carefully. Season to taste.
Incidentally, should you happen to burn a bag while figuring out the timing for your particular unit, here’s a simple trick for removing that burned smell from your microwave.
What’s your favorite healthy popcorn seasoning?0