This simple paloma cocktail is made with tequila and Squirt, along with a squeeze of lime juice and a sprinkle of salt. Sometimes called a poor man’s margarita, it’s EASY, inexpensive, and delicious!
Dr Pepper Snapple Group® sponsored this post. All opinions are mine and mine alone.
When it comes to cocktails, a classic margarita has always been my drink of choice — on the rocks with salt, please and thank you! But here’s the thing, I’ve never been super successful at making margaritas at home.
Those store bought margarita drink mixes? Yeah, they’re waayyy too sweet for my taste… And I’ve tried making my own margarita mix, but 1) it tastes different every time because the quality of the limes varies, and 2) limes keep going up, up, up in price, making it kind of expensive to experiment.
I mentioned as much to a friend a few years ago, and he suggested that I try a paloma cocktail instead. Now, palomas weren’t even on my radar at the time, so I pressed him for details (of course!)…
What’s in a paloma??? In his words, it’s a simple cocktail made with grapefruit soda, white tequila, a squeeze of lime juice, and a sprinkle of salt. He then went on to tell me about how it’s all the rage in Mexico.
Tequila and Squirt Palomas
I’m game… So grapefruit soda? You mean like Squirt soda??? He said sure! And so goes the story of how I was introduced to palomas — or as I like to call them, the poor man’s margarita. You know, because they’re so cheap to make!
Which is why it’s totally become my cocktail of choice when entertaining guests. I mean, it’s got EVERYTHING going for it: it’s easy to make, inexpensive (a 2-liter of Squirt is, what, a dollar at Walmart?!), and guests LOVE it.
As you know, I’m ALL about keeping it simple when entertaining. I mean, I enjoy attending fancy and elegant gatherings, but I don’t really enjoy hosting them. For me, simple just means more FUN… I can actually spend time hanging out with my guests, instead of dashing around the kitchen like a mad woman.
Case in point: every year we host a HUGE New Year’s Eve bash. Basically, all of our friends AND their kids are invited — because, as you know if you have kids, going out on New Year’s is kind of iffy…
So over the years it’s morphed into a giant pajama party! Adults and kids alike show up in their fave jammies, we all hang out for the night, and then after midnight, everyone heads out all ready to go straight to bed once they get home. Pretty ingenious if you ask me!
And it’s the perfect excuse to sip palomas in my flannel PJs. Starting the New Year off right!
How To Make A Paloma Drink
We keep the food and drinks pretty simple, too. Each guest brings an appetizer or dessert, and we provide pizzas and supply the drinks — water and juice boxes for the kids + beer, wine, and palomas for the adults. I may just have to buy stock in Squirt — I think we’ve converted just about ALL of our friends to drinking them at this point.
And once I show them how easy they are to make, they can keep their cups filled on their own all night long. It’s just one part white tequila, three parts Squirt soda, a squeeze of fresh lime juice, and a sprinkle of flaky sea salt. Stir and enjoy!
Of course, you can dress it up with salt on the rim or by adding some grapefruit juice or a little citrus zest. But this is my favorite paloma recipe in its most basic form — hope you love it, too!
PIN IT NOW! CLICK HERE TO ADD THIS PALOMA DRINK RECIPE TO YOUR ADULT DRINKS BOARD ON PINTEREST!
Need a few more delicious adult drink recipes? Here are some of my all-time faves:
- Pudding Shots — These luscious chocolate pudding shots are heavenly little cups of alcohol-infused pudding that are sure to make you the host or hostess with the mostest!
- RumChata Pudding Shots — These dreamy RumChata pudding shots are luscious little cups of cinnamon-y, vanilla-y alcohol-infused pudding that will be the star of your next cookout or tailgate!
- Wine Slushie Recipe — Just three ingredients combine to make these ah-mazing peach wine slushies: moscato wine, frozen peaches, and confectioners sugar. Frosty and fabulous!
- Kahlúa and Root Beer Float — What happens when you mix a classic root beer float with Kahlúa French Vanilla? Magic, that’s what! Guests will adore this Kahlúa root beer float on a hot summer night…
- Strawberry Daiquiri — Hands down THE BEST frozen strawberry daiquiri I’ve ever had: not too sweet, not too tart, and deliciously thick and creamy! Uses just four ingredients.