Though cucumbers are not quite in season yet, I’ve been craving this light and creamy cucumber salad. It’s been making an appearance on our dinner table at family gatherings — and for no special reason at all — for about as long as I can remember.
The cast of characters in this cucumber salad recipe includes fresh cucumbers, a large onion, and sour cream, among a few other staples that you likely already have in your pantry right now.
Peel the cucumbers, and then slice them and the onion up very thin.
You could use a mandolin or a food processor if you prefer, but I opted to do it by hand, as that was the way I learned this recipe many years ago.
Next, give the cucumber/onion mixture a generous salting and let them marinate for about an hour. The salt will help draw the excess water out, and giving them a good stir every so often will help this process along.
Now it’s time to get your hands a little dirty! Reach in and grab a handful of the cucumber and onion mixture, and squeeze out as much water as you can. Then place it in a clean bowl. Get the kids involved in this step — trust me, they’ll love it! Continue to do this for the rest of the mixture.
Whisk together the sour cream, vinegar, water, and ground pepper to taste, and stir together with the cucumber mixture. You can serve it right away, or refrigerate it for a couple of hours to help temper the onion if you’re not a fan of raw onions. I like to sprinkle a little paprika on top for presentation, but it’s not a necessary ingredient.Print
This light and creamy cucumber salad has been making an appearance on our dinner table for about as long as I can remember.
- 3 cucumbers
- 1 large onion
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water
- freshly ground black pepper
- Peel the cucumbers and slice both the cucumbers and onions very thin.
- Place them in a large bowl and salt them generously. Allow them to marinate for about one hour.
- Grab handfuls of the cucumber and onion mixture and squeeze as much water out as you can.
- Whisk together the sour cream, vinegar, water, and freshly ground pepper to taste. Stir into cucumber mixture.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate to mellow. Sprinkle paprika over the top for presentation if desired.