Truly the best dang homemade glass cleaner recipe you will try… This homemade window cleaner is easy, streak free & non-toxic AND it’s just 4 ingredients!
Homemade Glass Cleaner
Best is such a subjective term, don’t you think? And I feel like it’s used far too freely these days. Everyone has the “best” recipe for this and the “best” recipe for that… They can’t all be the BEST, right?
Prior to sharing this homemade glass cleaner recipe, I’ve posted exactly two recipes in my 5+ years of blogging that I called the best — this buttercream frosting recipe and this strawberry daquiri recipe. And judging from the response both of those recipes have received over the years, I was completely justified…
The Best Homemade Window Cleaner Recipe
So when I call this the BEST dang homemade window cleaner, just know that a lot of trial and error has gone into developing this recipe, and I truly feel it’s earned that title! I had a few specific criteria in mind when I was creating this homemade glass cleaner recipe:
- Non-toxic — making my own homemade household cleaners isn’t just about saving money. It’s also about removing unnecessary toxins, which is why I developed this recipe using 80-proof vodka (the cheap stuff, of course!) instead of isopropyl alcohol. Vodka contains ethyl alcohol which is safe for human consumption, while isopropyl alcohol is toxic when absorbed.
- Simple — the remaining 3 ingredients are distilled water, white vinegar and a few drops of essential oil, meaning this recipe is easy enough that even my kids can put together a batch. With a rambunctious Weimaraner puppy and five kids, our windows need cleaned frequently, so I wanted everyone in our household to be able to refill the bottle as needed.
- Streak-free — maybe this goes without saying, but a glass cleaner that isn’t truly streak free just isn’t worth the time and effort to use.
Above all, it had to pass muster with my husband. He’s more than a little attached to that blue stuff we both used growing up, and no other glass cleaner recipe I’ve tried prior to this was worthy in his eyes.
Is the Essential Oil Required?
In short, yes — the essential oil serves a purpose other than just helping to cover the scent of the vinegar. It’s the key ingredient that makes this window cleaner recipe streak free.
You may have seen a number of other homemade glass cleaner recipes online that call for cornstarch to make them streak free. While I found that they did live up to the streak-free promise, they also left a bit of residue behind. And the cornstarch always settled in the bottom of the bottle, requiring a lot of vigorous shaking each time I needed to use it.
The essential oil in this recipe serves the same purpose — breaking the hydrogen bond that causes water molecules to get trapped in the pitted surface of glass, i.e. what causes streaking. You’ll still have to shake the bottle frequently, but it provides a more pleasant user experience (less odor and no residue)!
How to Make Homemade Glass Cleaner
This DIY glass cleaner is seriously simple to make… Just combine all four ingredients in the quantities listed below in a pretty spray bottle (the one pictured is from Grove Collaborative, but here’s another option from Amazon), give it a good shake, and you’re ready to go!
Truly the best dang homemade glass cleaner you will try… Easy, streak free & non-toxic!
- Using a silicone funnel, pour the water, vodka and white vinegar into a glass spray bottle.
- Add 8-10 drops of your favorite essential oil and replace the nozzle. Shake well.
- Spray on windows, mirrors, etc. Wipe with a soft microfiber cloth until dry.
Keep in mind that vinegar can etch marble. However, we have marble windowsills, and I’ve not experienced any issues. I just wipe them dry after cleaning the windows.
Homemade Disinfectant Spray
If you like this homemade glass cleaner recipe, I think you’ll also adore this homemade disinfectant spray! Check back, because I’ll be sharing more homemade cleaning products over the next few weeks. Most of them also use vodka as a base, so I recommend just picking up the biggest, cheapest bottle of 80-proof you can find! ;)
Note: If you came here looking for the exclusive Toxin Free Cleaning Kit from Grove Collaborative, unfortunately this offer has expired. However, right now Grove is offering an amazing Mrs. Meyers gift set valued at over $25 for FREE with any $20 purchase! If you’ve been wanting to make the switch to green cleaning products, you DEFINITELY want to check it out…
I’m thrilled to partner with Grove Collaborative as an affiliate. As always, all opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that make this site possible!99