After a small taste of spring-like weather, winter is back in full force today. What better time to serve this easy chicken tortilla soup?
I was putzing around on the Campbell’s Kitchen website a few weeks ago, and a recipe for slow cooker chicken tortilla soup caught my eye. Starting with Pace Picante Sauce and Campbell’s Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup, it’s one of those great set it and forget it type recipes. Everything goes into your slow cooker, and you just spend a couple of minutes right before serving to finish it up.
Of course, as you know by now, I’m not one to follow a recipe exactly, so I made a number of adjustments, such as adding more beans and corn for a heartier soup. I also chose to kick things up a notch by using the Pace Hot Picante Sauce.
As I mentioned, the bulk of the ingredients go into the slow cooker to start — picante sauce, soup, chicken, corn, beans, water and cumin. You can cook this mixture on high for 2 to 2.5 hours or on low for 4 to 5 hours. Just make sure the chicken is cooked through.
About 15 minutes before serving, you add in sliced corn tortillas and shredded cheddar cheese. The tortillas kind of just melt away and serve to really thicken up the soup.
Right before serving, stir in the fresh, chopped cilantro… I know that some of you may detest cilantro — it’s one of those polarizing herbs. I happen to be in the “love it” camp, but I think you could easily leave it out if you so desire, or just sprinkle it on top if some family members like it while others don’t.
This easy chicken tortilla soup is creamy and flavorful — perfect for a cold, winter evening! We love it served with an additional sprinkling of shredded cheddar cheese and a dollop of sour cream. It pairs perfectly with our favorite cornbread right out of the oven.Print
- 1 (16-oz.) jar Pace Picante Sauce
- 2 cans Campbell’s Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup
- 1.5-lbs. skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 (16-oz.) bag frozen whole kernel corn
- 2 (15-oz.) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 soup cans of water
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 6 corn tortillas (6-inch), cut into thin strips
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- additional shredded cheddar cheese for topping (optional)
- sour cream for topping (optional)
- Stir together picante sauce, soup, chicken, corn, beans, water and cumin in a 5-qt. or larger slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 4 to 5 hours or on high for 2 to 2.5 hours, until chicken is cooked through.
- Stir the tortillas and cheese into the soup and cook for an additional 15 minutes. Stir in cilantro right before serving.
- Serve with additional shredded cheddar cheese and sour cream for topping.
Presented by Campbell’s Kitchen.
How would you serve this chicken tortilla soup — with cilantro, without cilantro, sour cream, cheddar cheese, maybe a squeeze of lime juice?