One of the most popular recipes on my site is my favorite whipped buttercream frosting recipe, and I often get emails asking whether it can be turned into a chocolate buttercream, caramel buttercream, cream cheese buttercream, etc. So I figured it’s time to start sharing some variations with you all, starting with this to die for caramel frosting recipe!
This delicious caramel frosting is very similar to the basic buttercream recipe, only it uses less butter and replaces it with the easy homemade caramel sauce I shared recently. The end result is a sinfully decadent caramel frosting that’s minus the numerous artificial flavorings and preservatives found in store bought frostings.
It’s the perfect way to top off your favorite cake or cupcakes!Print
- 1/2 cup salted butter (1 stick), softened
- 1/2 cup homemade caramel sauce
- 4 cups confectioner’s sugar, sifted
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 3-5 tablespoons heavy cream
- Using a paddle beater, beat softened butter and caramel sauce on medium speed for about 3 minutes.
- Add sifted confectioner’s sugar and stir on low until incorporated.
- Add vanilla extract and 3 tablespoons of heavy cream. Beat on medium-high for 3 minutes, stopping to scrape the sides once or twice.
- If a thinner frosting is desired, add additional heavy cream 1 tablespoon at a time until desired consistency is reached.
The image above pairs this caramel frosting with my Fresh Honeycrisp Apple Cake, for a seasonal treat that’s worth waiting for!13