This easy green bean casserole recipe is my family’s version of the classic recipe and uses only 3 ingredients, including canned green beans… Because who needs another complicated Thanksgiving recipe? NOT this mama!
Easy Green Bean Casserole
So after moving out on my own, I found it both surprising and puzzling that so many of my friends turned their noses up at it. What the heck?!
As I was making it to share with you all yesterday, I thought it might be fun to do a quick, informal survey about it on Facebook. It turns out green bean casserole is a highly polarizing topic.
But the consensus is pretty much this: love it or hate it, green bean casserole is a holiday dinner staple!
After thinking about it some more, I realized something… My mom’s green bean casserole recipe is not your average Campbell’s green bean casserole or French’s green bean casserole. No, it’s not a completely from scratch, homemade green bean casserole, either. What it is, is a stripped down version that’s still super flavorful but can be prepped in just three minutes.
3-Ingredient Green Bean Casserole Recipe
I’m not sure how or where it originated, but with just THREE ingredients, it’s FAR easier to throw together than most other recipes. Plus, I personally think it tastes great without the fussy extras that many recipes incorporate.
Worcestershire sauce — who needs it? Salt and pepper? Nah, there’s plenty of flavor without it (thanks to the salt used in canning the green beans). And for sure, I don’t add milk. Runny green bean casserole is the WORST!
Yep, this easy green bean casserole recipe calls for just canned green beans, cream of mushroom soup, and French fried onions. That’s it! These three simple ingredients combine to make a thick and creamy casserole (with a bit of crunch) that’s pure comfort food.
A quick note on finding the French fried onions — this time of year it’s pretty simple. Around Thanksgiving, most grocery stores have them on the aisle end caps, along with the cream of mushroom soup and green beans (on sale!).
But if you’re hunting for them outside of the holidays, it’s not so intuitive. Look for them near the canned green beans throughout the rest of the year, usually on a shelf just above or beside them.
How To Make Green Bean Casserole
Making this simple green bean casserole is incredibly easy. Just mix everything together, reserving about 1/3 of the French fried onions to garnish the casserole at the end.
Bake for about 45 minutes or until it’s bubbly and warmed through, and then sprinkle the remaining fried onions over the top. Pop it back in the oven for about 5 minutes to give them a little color, and it’s ready to serve.
See?! In fact, the hardest part is making sure the reserved French fried onions aren’t devoured by hungry children… Okay, okay — I’ll admit I’ve been known to sneak a few too. Love them!
When you have a ton of other holiday recipes to make, you really can’t beat a good mix, heat, and serve dish like this. And who knows? You might even convince a few green bean casserole haters to flip sides when they get a good taste of this delicious creamy/crunchy combo!
PIN IT NOW! CLICK HERE TO ADD THIS EASY GREEN BEAN CASSEROLE RECIPE TO YOUR SIDE DISHES RECIPES BOARD ON PINTEREST!
Slow Cooker Green Bean Casserole
Need to save some space in your oven? This simple green bean casserole can also be prepared in your slow cooker. Simply mix everything up in your slow cooker insert, and cook it on low for 4-5 hours or high for 3-4 hours, or until heated through. Easy-peasy!
The only downside is you can’t brown the fried onions like you do in the oven-baked version. No problem, though! Toss the remaining fried onions in a skillet, and brown them over medium heat for about five minutes. Sprinkle them over the top of your slow cooker green bean casserole, and you’re good to go.
More yummy & easy casserole recipes to try:
- This easy tuna casserole with egg noodles was always one of my mom’s go-to recipes when I was growing up… And I can totally see why. Tuna noodle casserole is quick to prep, tasty, and versatile!
- This custardy creamed corn casserole recipe is SO good you’ll want to scrape the dish clean to get every last bit of caramelized goodness… My favorite of all the corn casserole recipes I’ve tried, just like my grandma made it!
- Or for a less sweet version, this super easy Jiffy cornbread casserole starts with a box of Jiffy corn muffin mix. Add in five simple pantry ingredients and you’ve got a delicious side dish that’s sure to be a staple for both weeknights and holiday gatherings!
- This easy cheesy meatball casserole boasts just 5 ingredients, yet is still packed with flavor… Serve it as is, over pasta, or on sandwich rolls for a versatile weeknight dinner!
- This baked mac and cheese casserole is easy homemade macaroni and cheese at its best! Gooey and cheesy with a layer of crushed potato chips on top for texture…
- This cheesy hashbrown casserole recipe, filled with 3 different cheeses, is a Midwest classic at its best. Top it with your choice of more cheese, crushed potato chips, or corn flakes!
And a bonus recipe that’s kind of a casserole in that you bake it… these amazing creamy make ahead mashed potatoes! You simply can’t go wrong with this recipe. Filled with cream cheese AND sour cream, it makes the BEST mashed potatoes. Always fluffy and delicious!
So tell me how YOU feel about green bean casserole — love it or hate it?!?