These cute little mini spinach quiche filled with spinach and bacon are a delicious and filling brunch idea! They’re also very tasty cold, making them an excellent on the go breakfast option…
Last week I mentioned that I had a great brunch recipe to share with you that would be perfect for Mother’s Day, but you don’t have to wait until then to give these tasty mini spinach quiche a try! They’re fantastic any time, and you can easily customize them based on your favorite flavor combinations.
I chose to fill these with a frozen spinach and bacon combination that my kids adored. Yes, folks, apparently adding bacon is the key to getting them to eat more greens — sneaky nutrition as its best… I was barely able to snap a picture before they devoured them all!
Easy Mini Spinach Quiche Recipe
Which is fine with me, because making another batch is easy-peasy. Starting with refrigerated crescent roll dough for the crust means that you can spend less time in the kitchen and more time relaxing with your family. Plus the small size means they bake up much more quickly than a full-size quiche.
You simply press the crescent roll dough triangles into greased muffin cups, making sure to pinch any holes closed tightly. Then you fill each cup to the top with the mixture of eggs, sautéed bacon and onions, spinach, sour cream and mozzarella cheese — super simple and totally delicious. Even my kids could make this recipe all on their own…
A few tips for yummy and attractive mini quiche:
- Try baking your bacon in the oven ahead of time for perfectly cooked bacon with less mess! Dice what you need for the quiche and serve the remainder alongside them.
- If you’ve been freezing your excess spinach, this is a great recipe to use it up! Just substitute nine ounces of your own frozen spinach for the store bought package.
- When forming the crusts, place the shortest point of the crescent roll in the bottom of each muffin tin cup. Then wrap the long side around the top of the cup and seal any holes. This makes for the prettiest and neatest quiche crusts!
Aren’t they cute? And they’re surprisingly filling, so you really don’t need to prepare a ton of other food along with them. Bacon and fresh fruit would be perfect!
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Sautee chopped bacon and onions in a skillet until the onions are translucent and the bacon is cooked through. Drain off any excess bacon grease and allow to cool.
- Whisk the eggs well, and then whisk in the sour cream, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Fold in the cooked and cooled bacon and onion mixture and mozzarella cheese.
- Spray 16 muffin cups with cooking spray or grease with butter, and press one triangle of crescent roll dough into each cup, sealing any holes, to form the crusts. Then fill each crust with about 3 tablespoons of the egg mixture.
- Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 20 minutes, until the crust is browned and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Serve warm.
While I think I prefer these mini spinach quiche warm from the oven, they’re still very tasty cold, making them a great on the go breakfast option. No fork necessary!
Updated from the archives — originally posted in March 2013106