Grilling out isn’t reserved just for holidays around here — weather permitting, we use our grill almost daily during the summer. So I’m always looking for easy and tasty side dishes that we can plop right on the grill along with our main dish, and these grilled caprese tomato kabobs certainly fit the bill.
Easy… check! Delicious… check! And how can you not drool over those gorgeous colors that just scream summer?
Start by skewering cherry tomatoes onto bamboo skewers that have been soaked in water to prevent them from catching fire — about six tomatoes per skewer should do it. And be sure to leave additional room at the top for the mozzarella cheese!
Drizzle the tomatoes with olive oil, and then sprinkle salt and pepper to taste over the top. It’s also good idea at this point to prep the rest of your ingredients before you start to grill your tomato kabobs because they cook fairly quickly. Cut your fresh mozzarella cheese into approximately one-inch cubes (or use bocconcini mozzarella) and chiffonade the fresh basil.
Grill the tomato kabobs until the tomatoes start to burst — this generally takes about five minutes. Pull them off the grill and add one or two pieces of mozzarella cheese to the end of each skewer. Place the kabobs back on the grill for about 30 seconds to charr and melt the cheese slightly. Remove the kabobs to a platter and sprinkle with fresh basil.
These are best served hot off the grill, so wait until you’re just ready to eat to throw them on!Print
- 2 lbs. cherry tomatoes
- bocconcini or fresh mozzarella cheese cut into 1″ cubes
- fresh basil
- olive oil
- Thread cherry tomatoes onto bamboo skewers that have been soaked in warm water, about six or so tomatoes per skewer. Leave room at the top to add the mozzarella later.
- Drizzle the tomato kabobs with olive oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- Grill the kabobs until the tomatoes begin to burst, approximately five minutes.
- Remove the kabobs and add two pieces of bocconcini or fresh mozzarella.
- Place the skewers back on the grill for about 30 seconds.
- Remove skewers to a platter and sprinkle fresh basil over the top.
Really want to wow your guests? Drizzle your finished caprese kabobs with a little balsamic reduction. Talk about a flavor explosion!!!1