If you’re looking for an insanely easy and delicious dip recipe, this sausage cream cheese dip is THE ONE!! Just 3 ingredients + 3 steps to prepare, AND you can choose to make it on the stovetop or in your crockpot. SUPER SIMPLE!
3-Ingredient Sausage Cream Cheese Dip
Never in a million years would I have thought I’d say this… But I’m kind of ready for the college football season to just be over.
I’ve been looking forward to it since last December and my Buckeyes are still in the hunt, but I’m really struggling to really get excited. I mean, nothing about it feels right — the cancellations, playing down key players, no fans in the stands, I could go on and on.
So instead I’ll just drown myself in this INSANELY easy and delicious sausage cream cheese dip! You know I’m always down for some good game day grub, and it just doesn’t get much better than this:
✔ just THREE ingredients (count ’em!!)
✔ super simple 3 easy steps to prepare
✔ make it on the stovetop
✔ or make it in your crockpot
✔ as spicy or mild as you want it to be
✔ ready to eat in as little as 15 minutes!
You’d seriously never guess that three such simple ingredients could produce such an addictive and flavorful dip. So grab a BIG bag of thick and hearty restaurant-style tortilla chips and let’s make a batch!
Rotel Sausage Dip Ingredients
This Rotel sausage dip is as easy as 1, 2, 3!! It’s one of my go-to recipes for parties, potlucks, and/or tailgating — pretty much any occasion that calls for copious amounts of dips and finger foods. If I’m being completely honest though, I’ve even been known to make this sausage dip for an easy weeknight dinner…
HERE’S WHAT YOU NEED:
bulk hot sausage — I typically pick up a 1-lb. roll of Jimmy Dean Hot Sausage. This is not in any way sponsored… I just think this sausage packs the perfect amount of heat, and it isn’t super greasy after browning. If you prefer a milder dip, then by all means go for regular or even mild sausage.
Rotel tomatoes & chilies — Rotel is always a classic ingredient in Mexican-inspired dips, so it’s a natural fit here. The original variety is pretty mild, but they do also offer an actual mild variety if you prefer absolutely no heat. Me? I just saw they’re now offering a Serrano variety, and I am TOTALLY trying that next time I make this!
cream cheese — cream cheese on the whole doesn’t vary much between brands, so choose whatever your fave is. That said, you could lighten this recipe up slightly by using Neufchatel.
That’s it!! In fact, you probably don’t even need my help to figure out how to make sausage dip at this point, but I’ll still walk you through both the stovetop and crockpot sausage dip methods so everything is simple and straightforward.
How To Make Sausage Dip In 3 Steps
Yup, THREE ingredients and just THREE steps! See why this is hands down the easiest sausage cream cheese Rotel dip recipe ever?
1| Brown the sausage in a large skillet over medium heat, breaking it up into small pieces as it’s cooking. At this point, you’ll want to drain off any excess oil. I’ve found that when I use Jimmy Dean hot sausage, the excess oil is minimal, so I just skip doing this.
2| Now is the time to decide whether you want to continue your prep on the stovetop (fastest) or in your crockpot (best for transporting to parties and potlucks). If you’re continuing on the stovetop, just leave the browned sausage in the skillet and dump in 2 cans of Rotel. If you’re moving to your crockpot, transfer the browned ground sausage to the crockpot insert, and dump the 2 cans of Rotel in with it.
3| Cube two 8-oz. blocks of cream and add them to the sausage Rotel mixture. Cook over medium-low heat on the stovetop until fully combined, stirring frequently. If you’re preparing this dip in the crockpot, the cook time will take longer. You can use any heat setting, depending on how soon you plan to serve it. Just turn it down to “keep warm” after the ingredients are fully combined to avoid scorching it.
A few quick tips for best results:
- Pick up one of these ground meat choppers to make browning the bulk sausage really simple. It’s perfect for making taco meat, meat sauces, and sausage/ground beef-based dips like this. I use mine several times a week at the least!
- DON’T drain the Rotel. The liquid is essential for thinning out this sausage and cream cheese dip enough to be scoopable.
- And speaking of scoopable… This is still a very thick dip, so choose some good, thick, restaurant-style tortilla chips to serve with it. If you’re feeling really ambitious, you could even try making your own homemade tortilla chips!
- DO cube up the cream cheese before adding it for faster melting. Technically you could just throw the whole blocks in, but they will take much longer to melt.
Best Slow Cooker For Crockpot Sausage Dip
One final note, I searched high and low to find the BEST crockpot for this sausage dip with cream cheese and Rotel (and actually for ALL of my favorite crockpot dip recipes). My criteria were that it be smaller sized (2.5-3 quarts), have at least 3 heat settings, and be fairly attractive. AND I FOUND ONE THAT IS JUST PERFECT!!
At Target (of course). It’s a small 3-qt. size, has 3 heat settings, and it’s part of the Hearth & Hand at Magnolia line, so you KNOW it’s super cute. Love, LOVE the textured matte sour cream finish, plus it’s super lightweight. AND it’s just $17.99 — although I’ve seen it on sale for as low as $15.99.
In fact, I love it so much that I also bought the coordinating 6-qt. oval programmable version. HIGHLY RECOMMEND BOTH!
PIN IT NOW! CLICK HERE TO ADD THIS SAUSAGE CREAM CHEESE DIP RECIPE TO YOUR FAVORITE DIP RECIPES BOARD ON PINTEREST!
If you like this sausage dip recipe, you might also like these other easy dip recipes:
- 3-Ingredient Chip Dip — If you ever had a Lawson’s corner store at the end of your block, you’ll recognize this copycat chip dip recipe immediately. If not, you’re totally in for a treat!
- Pepperoni Pizza Dip — all the flavors of a supreme pizza in a scoopable, dippable format that’s always a party fave!
- Easy Buffalo Chicken Dip — Using canned chicken makes this dip incredibly easy to prepare, AND you can make it in your crockpot!
- Beef Queso Dip — Another super fast and simple (yet crazy good) dip that’s made with just 4 ingredients!
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @unsophisticook on Instagram and hashtag it #unsophisticook.