I love a good fish taco… but unfortunately the rest of my family are not big fans of fish. But they do like shrimp, so I figured shrimp tacos would be a great alternative, especially with Cinco de Mayo just days away!
We’re finally getting some nice weather, so I marinated the shrimp, and my husband grilled them while I threw together the spicy mango slaw. We share dinner duties like this often so that we can get meals on the table faster. Feeding a family of seven takes teamwork…
And timesaving shortcuts like this… One of my favorite aspects of this shrimp taco recipe (besides all of the gorgeous color) is that the marinade does double duty — half is used to marinate the shrimp, and the other half becomes the “sauce” for the slaw.
In addition to the shrimp and slaw, I also threw together smoky chipotle cream sauce using sour cream and canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce. At Walmart and most other stores, you’ll find this product in the Mexican foods section. A little goes a long way, so I typically just chop up the entire can of peppers, mix them back into the sauce, and then freeze the mixture in tablespoon portions to be used in future recipes.
I served these grilled shrimp tacos with a little extra sprinkle of chili powder and cilantro, along with some wedges of lime.Print
- 12 corn tortillas
For the marinade/slaw sauce:
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice (approx. 2 limes)
- zest of 2 limes
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons finely diced jalapeño pepper
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
For the slaw:
- 3 cups shredded red cabbage
- 1 large mango, peeled and diced
- 2 tablespoons finely diced red onion
- 1/2 of marinade above
For the shrimp:
- 1 lb. jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
- remaining 1/2 of marinade above
For the chipotle cream sauce:
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped chipotle chilis in adobo sauce
- Whisk together olive oil, lime juice, lime zest, cilantro, jalapeño pepper, honey, cumin, garlic powder, chili powder, and salt.
- Place thawed shrimp in a plastic bag and add half of the marinade mixture. Seal the bag and move the shrimp around until they’re coated with the mixture. Marinate in the refrigerator for approximately 30 minutes.
- In a large bowl, toss the shredded red cabbage, diced red onion and chopped mango with the remaining marinade. Cover and refrigerate.
- Wrap the corn tortillas in aluminum foil. Thread the shrimp onto skewers and grill over medium heat, turning once, for approximately 5 to 8 minutes, until the shrimp turn opaque. While the shrimp are grilling, place the wrapped tortillas on the grill as well to warm.
- Meanwhile, mix the sour cream and chipotle peppers. If the mixture seems a little thick, you can add a squeeze of lime juice to thin it out.
- To serve, spread the chipotle cream on a corn tortilla. Top with the spicy mango slaw and shrimp, about 3 shrimp per taco should be plenty.
Don’t be overwhelmed by the list of ingredients — this dish comes together very quickly! Also, the spicy mango slaw is pretty darn tasty all on its own.